…My True Love Gave To Me…

Do you remember your first Christmas with the one you love? Did you buy him – or her – a gift? What did they give to you? I do remember the first Christmas with my husband, and while I don’t remember what I got him, I know exactly what he got me. I’m wearing it right now. It’s a blue topaz necklace on a silver chain, and the reason I remember it so clearly is that when he handed me the box, I about had a heart attack. All I could think was that it was a ring.

I wasn’t ready for a ring.

I mean, we’d talked about getting engaged, and I was generally inclined to pursue that option, but somehow seeing that black velvet jewelry box freaked me out. Too much too soon!

Well, to make a long story short, that was Christmas of ’94. Obviously I got over it, and I’m looking forward to something sparkly under the tree this year.

What about you?

While you’re coming up with your Christmas list, check out some of the other stops on the Still Moments Publishing Christmas Blog Hop. Jump HEREย for the list of all the stops. There are some lovely prizes, so be sure to leave a comment here and on all the blogs on the hop. I’ll be drawing a winner for a copy of my holiday short story,ย The Santa Drag, too!

Things aren’t always what they seem, and this shopping mall Santa has secrets only her true love can reveal.

And, because it’s not Christmas without a little music, here’s a link to one of the songs from my all-time favorite Christmas album, Oy To The World by The Klezmanauts. Yes, Klezmer Christmas carols. Is there a problem with that?

Peace,

Liv

This entry was posted in Humor, Romance and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to …My True Love Gave To Me…

1. Zrinka says:

Truly the memory of my first Christmas with my hubby is a blur by now. After x number of years, Christmases seem to start to blend together. All I know is, I didn’t get what I truly want and start to think, no such gift exists in Santa’s sack. Not any more. Things that come from the store will never do, no price can be put on the true Christmas magic and I want to believe that is not killed by the retailers.

2. Krista Ames says:

Liv, I love your blog post !!! Love your story The Santa Drag too, is one of my favorites ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Lily Carlyle says:

My husband has bought me many gifts over our many years together–a lot of them more than we could afford at the time, but one of my favorite gifts was a booklight! My daughters and I still fight over it. Just shows you don’t have to spend a lot.

4. Ah, the tiny black velvet box would have freaked me out, too! By our first Christmas, the hubs and I were already engaged. I know, whirlwind romance, right?
    I would love to win a copy of The Santa Drag.

5. Linda Carroll-Bradd says:

What a great antecdote. My husband and I are so untraditional we went to a jewelry making class to cast our wedding rings. Best of luck with your holiday story.

6. Dani-Lyn Alexander says:

My husband and I have been together so long I can’t remember what he gave me for out first Christmas. I do remember the first tree we had, though. It’s still my favorite!!

7. Vonnie Davis says:

Great post. Love the premise behind your THE SANTA DRAG.

8. Ah yes, that first Christmas gift, Mickey Mouse Watch with a blue band. I love it, still have it even though it died.

9. Tami Clayton says:

Love the song. I’d never heard it before. I am more of a Nat King Cole or Harry Connick, Jr. fan myself, but I like hearing something outside the usual this time of year.

10. I got a ring box for my first Christmas with my boyfriend but it was just a lovely emerald ring. We were still quite young so I knew that it wouldn’t be an engagement ring in the box! Heck, seven years later and I still don’t think I’m ready for an engagement ring! ๐Ÿ™‚

11. Tessa says:

My boyfriend has bought me all kinds of jewelry during our time together, he knows how much I love it! The first Christmas I think it was a silver bracelet, with a heart charm on it. very cute! Thanks for the bloghop.
    tessa dot bamberg at kolumbus dot fi

12. cora ramos says:

I don’t remember the first Christmas gift from my husband before we were married, unless it was that silly, little wooden bird that I still have tucked away. I thought it had a suspicious similarity to him. Maybe that was intentional so he’d grow on me. Didn’t take much growing, I was hooked early on.